Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Welcome Back to the Hobby

Well after reading several blogs over the past few months, I decided to start my own. I recently got back into the hobby after about 15 years. When I was a kid there was no such thing as relic cards and we actually had a better chance getting struck by lightning than pulling an auto. I was completely amazed that you are able to buy a box for around $60 and were actually guaranteed a couple relics and/or autos. This is until I realized how many and how worthless they actually are for the most part. I still have a hard time understanding that I can pull a baseball rookie card and yet not even hear of them until 3 years later. I probably busted 6 boxes of Topps Chrome this past summer only to have 10 autos of people that I have to wait on for three years to see the value. While I do like to collect, I also enjoy going to the card shows and selling there too. It's my way of getting money from cards I don't really want and buying ones I do. I, like many people these days are on a limited budget. I have a 3 year old and we just found out two days before Christmas we're expecting another.

Getting back to the shows.

I've probably done my local monthly show for the last 8 months. I am trying to figure out what people are looking for at these shows. Out of the 8 shows, I probably only broke the $40 mark (table money) 3 shows. Only one of those shows I made over $100, and that's because I sold one card for $300. This past Sunday was the monthly show. I went again and bought my usually table. Now I have everything on my table from a 50 cent bargain box to cards that book well over $100. While most of my collection is from the last couple years, I also have cards that go back to the 60's and 70's. I always have the same people asking about the same cards and never pulling the trigger. Not that I'm priced high. I have a Walter Payton in really good shape, it would probably grade a 7 or 8, that I'm asking $160 for. I also have a 1969 Mickey Mantle in good shape (books for $350) I told one guy $80 and he said that the best he could do was $60. I just don't understand what is going on. Are they going to the show to just waste a Sunday morning? This is what I'm beginning to think. There is also plenty of people walking around. I'm just trying to figure out what I have to bring that people will want. Any ideas for me? I recently emailed Mario from Wax Heaven on this subject. He said he thinks it is Ebay that killed the hobby. I do agree, however, when my asking prices are about the same as Ebay it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for reading my first blog. I hope to update at least once a day.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on starting a new blog and on your expected child! And good luck. I disagree with you and Mario though; I think that eBay made the hobby a lot better.

    When I go to card shows, I usually just go to look for good deals, to find cards that I didn't know existed, and to try to fill some sets that I'm working on. Often, I'll see a card that interests me, but I don't buy it if I'm not sure how much it's selling for on eBay. I'd rather go home and check to see what the market value of the card is than overpay. Maybe it would help if you brought a laptop with you that had a wireless internet connection. If people were hesitating about a card, you could do a completed auction search on eBay to show them that your price is fair. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete